socialmediocrity

Putting the “oh” in Web 2.0

One of your boys is bumin off this

with 14 comments

WTF?

Facebooks fan page ads have taken another turn.

Mitchell and Webb being bumed off

Mitchell and Webb being bumed off

Instead of just asking me to become a fan, I am now told that one of boys is bumin off to this too.

Whatever that means.

Anyway, clicking on the link simply displays which of my “boys” is “bumin off” to this. Turns out it’s one of my be-yatches.

What a strange turn-of-phrase Facebook uses sometimes.

About these ads

Written by Richard

December 22, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with , ,

14 Responses

1. I’ve been noticing this too, for the past few days. In fact I googled it to see if anyone else was getting the same message, and this blog is the only thing that mentioned it.

What the HELL is going on?

lindsay

December 22, 2008 at 4:07 pm

2. Just saw this myself.
    Thought it was hilarious, as was your reaction!

Premier

December 22, 2008 at 4:29 pm

3. saw that too, decided to google it as thought it was a bit nuts. your page came up. someone has probably hacked the translation programme or something.

Phil

December 22, 2008 at 4:36 pm

4. yeh what gives with this? :S

Tom Spirit

December 22, 2008 at 7:30 pm

5. It’s actually (look at the pic above)
    “One of your boys is bumin off this”
    Used to be “One friend is a fan”.
    I guess it’s a hack.
    It could have been funnier though, don’t think much of it myself :-|

Don B. Silly

December 22, 2008 at 8:59 pm

6. BTW.
    It only works with English (UK)
    If you switch to English (US) it goes back to “One friend is a fan”.

Don B. Silly

December 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm

• @Don B. Silly: That’s interesting, after convincing myself that it was an English (UK) problem, I noticed that as the day (UK) wore on, the number of people visiting the site grew – leading me to think must have been wider spread. Maybe not everyone Facebook’s throughotu the day like I get to though

Richard

December 22, 2008 at 11:20 pm

7. A friend of mine pointed this out to me, I guessed it was a hack but thought i would google it just to find out a bit more.

Perhaps those running facebook do not look at the english UK version and have not noticed the ‘hack’.

well, i better get back to my bumming….thats just wrong…

Lee VK

December 22, 2008 at 10:47 pm

8. It’s not a hack. It’s due to the way Facebook gets ‘translated’ via a peer edit group. Someone on the UK English group obviously changed it for a laugh XD

Alison

December 23, 2008 at 12:24 am

• It seems odd though that Facebook would allow their peer editing group to (probably quite easily) change phrases on their platform. Especially an English () to English () translation. I use their ad platform a lot, and they don’t approve an ad if a full stop is missing. Maybe the same rigour would help here!

Richard

December 23, 2008 at 12:40 am

9. Quality stuff Rich. Which one of your mates were buming off it?

phped

December 23, 2008 at 12:47 am

10. so it was intentionaly set to that phrase? mine seems to have gone back to normal now.

Lee VK

December 23, 2008 at 12:47 pm

• @Lee VK: I was in touch with Facebook in the UK about the issue this morning. It may be that they have since resolved it. But it does of course make me think about what else can be hacked? And who did it?

Richard

December 23, 2008 at 4:16 pm

11. Yeah, i googled it cause I noticed it. And this is the only place mentioning it! It must be a hacker. The problem went away but nopw it’s back again. Shame it couldn’t have been something funnier!

Mr. Versipellis